By William Shakespeare
Directed by Alicia Harabin
WHEN: Thursday, June 6, 7:30pm - 9:30pm; Monday, June 10, 7:30pm - 9:30pm; Callback Date(s): Monday, June 17. Callbacks are by invitation only.
WHERE: Circle Players, at 416 Victoria Avenue, Piscataway, NJ
Piscataway's Circle Players and director Alicia Harabin seek 14 actors for the first production of our 2019-2020 season. Rehearsals will be scheduled as actors are available throughout the summer, then pick up to approximately thee per week in September.
Actors of all genders will be considered for most roles. Although the roles below are listed by degree of physicality, all roles in this show require more than average physical acting. Ages refer to stage age and are approximate.
Performance Dates: October 4, 5, 12, 13, 18, 19 and 20 (Fri/Sat @8pm, Sun @3pm)
Physically Demanding Roles:
- Ariel (ageless) - A trio of actors working together to portray this formless, airy spirit who is able to control the elements, but is held captive by Prospero/a’s magic
- Caliban (20s - 40s) - The half-human son of the witch Sycorax (former ruler of the island), now a “savage and deformed slave” to Prospero/a
- Stephano (any) - a drunken butler
- Trinculo (any) - a jester
Less Physical Roles:
- Prospero/a (40s - 60s) - Deposed Duke of Milan, now magical ruler of the island
- Miranda (16 - early 20s) - Prospero/a’s teenage daughter, who has little memory of their life before the island and no contact with other humans aside from her father/mother
- Ferdinand (18 - 20s) - Prince of Naples, who believes he is the sole survivor of the shipwreck
- Alonso/a (50s - 60s) - King/Queen of Naples, who fears they have lost their son and heir
- Gonzalo/a (60s +) - Noble advisor to the king and former friend of Prospero/a
- Sebastian (30s - 50s) - Younger sibling of Alonso/a, easily swayed toward ambition
- Antonio/a (30s - 50s) - Duke of Milan, having deposed and exiled their older sibling
- Boatswain/Adrian (any) - Ship’s officer, also plays a lord/lady attending the King/Queen
Readings will be from the script, and sides will be made available at www.circleplayers.org.
Those interested in Alonso or Gonzalo should read Prospero for their initial audition.
Those interested in Stephano, Sebastian or Adrian should read Antonio and Trinculo.
Performers are encouraged to read for more than one character.
Any questions can be directed to the production staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.