ACCESS JC FRIDAYS’ All-Day Celebration of Art & Culture in Jersey City
WHEN: Friday, June 1st, 2018
WHERE: restaurants, galleries, stores and event spaces in almost every neighborhood of Jersey City
ADMISSION: All events are free and open to the public.
Art House Productions’ JC Fridays will focus on accessibility in the arts! Jersey City’s premiere quarterly arts festival features art events that take place in restaurants, galleries, stores and event spaces in almost every neighborhood of our great city.
ACCESS JC FRIDAYS will showcase a variety of happenings including visual exhibitions, live music, performance acts and educational demonstrations, all showing work from artists with disabilities or offering accessible participation options. Rachel Handler, Art House’s Access Committee Chair notes, “Jersey City is one of the most diverse cities in the country, and that includes our residents with disabilities. Access JC Fridays should be every day!” Come out and celebrate art, ability and diversity in Jersey City!
ACCESS EVENTS AT ART HOUSE
WHERE: Cast Iron Lofts- 262 17th Street b/t Coles St and Jersey Ave
• 6:30 PM - Easterseals Disability Film Challenge Screening – We’ll screen some of the winning films from the past four years of the Easterseals Disability Film Challenge. Films range from comedies, to dramas, to mysteries! And all of them star actors with disabilities in front of the camera and crew members with disabilities behind the camera.
• 8 PM - STILL STANDING – Anita Hollander is an actor with one-leg. Her one-person show, Still Standing, tells the story of her diagnosis with cancer to the very moment of the performance you’ll see on Friday, June 1st. With song, wit, understatement, great dollops of humor, but not a smidgen of self-pity, Hollander reaches out to every member of the audience. How many, after all, will share her one-legged condition?
BERGEN AVENUE (ON AND AROUND)
- (performance)(music)(education) 7:30pm-8:30pm ST. PAUL’S CHURCH presents “Music and Faith of Franz Liszt.” Join pianist Yukiko Tanaka as she presents a program featuring music by Liszt, along with a talk about her life and faith. Music includes; La Campenella, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6, Liebestraum, etc. Ms. Tanaka will be joined by Gail Blache-Gill, soprano and Minister of Music at St. Paul's. 38 Duncan Ave (Bergen/Kennedy Blvd), 201-433-4922. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art)(music) 7pm-10pm IMAGO BEAUTY GROUP AT THE BASILICO presents “Hamlet Manzueta ‘The Artist.’” We will be featuring new and older work by the artist, Hamlet Manzueta. All are welcome to this exciting barrier-free event! 673 Bergen Ave. (Fairview/Duncan) (201) 332-6100. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art)(music)(film/video)(educational) 4pm-7pm PROJECT GREENVILLE presents “Project Greenville Pig Out!” Join us Friday & Saturday for an exhibit of work by—and inspired by—pigs! That’s right, two of our participants are piggies Petunia & Hamilton who create paintings. They will be joined by Donchellee Fulwood, Diana Gonzalez, Rich Roberts and more…Live music Saturday by Sofia Oro plus vegetarian picnic snacks! 128 Winfield Ave (Ocean/Old Bergen Rd), 646-361-1858. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible. Tactile tour.
GROVE (ON AND AROUND)
- (performance)(music) 5pm-10pm HISTORIC DOWNTOWN presents “Groove on Grove: A JC Fridays Showcase.” JC Downtown's weekly Wednesday night concert of local homegrown music moves to JC Fridays for a special showcase. Live Music, Artist and Makers Market, Food and Adult Libations. Band line-up atwww.rockitdocket.com. Grove Street PATH Plaza (Newark/Grove), 973-219-9696. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 7pm-10pm MAXIMUM MOTION FITNESS presents “Roses.” Paintings by Milena Filipova. Roses are used for everything from expressions of love to adornment of kings and rebels. They are beautiful but watch out for the thorns, as all beauty comes with its price. Come view the amazing expression of these flowers from soft whites and yellows to bright exciting reds and pinks. 262 Grove St (Montgomery/York), 201-985-9114. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 6pm-8pm SILVERMAN AND THE MAJESTIC THEATRE CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION presents “Doug Madill: Painting Jersey City.” Heights-based artist Doug Madill captures “plein air” (outdoor, direct observation) scenes in oil paint on canvas of Jersey City landmarks, parks, and street scenes, drawing out the remarkable from the familiar, highlighting the joy and artistry of our everyday surround. 222 Montgomery St (Grove/Montgomery), 201-435-8000. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 5pm-8:00pm JCITY REALTY presents “The Art Project.” Large scale abstract works by David French and Sandra DeSando. 109 Christopher Columbus Dr (Christopher Columbus Dr/Grove), 201-714-7777. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
HAMILTON PARK (ON AND AROUND)
- (art) 6pm-8pm SILVERMAN AND HAMILTON SQUARE CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION presents “CROSSING: Paintings by Jasmine Hsu.” A selection of vibrant new abstract paintings inspired by photography and photographic processes from Jersey City based artist Jasmine Hsu. 232 Pavonia Ave (Erie/Pavonia), 201-435-8000. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 6pm-8pm HAMILTON HOUSE presents “The Art Project.” Tour 7 Floors of solo artist lobby exhibitions with artists Jean-Paul Picard, Robert Egert, Roger W. Sayre, James Pustorino, Jodie Fink, Michael Ensminger, Artist Anthony E. Boone, Pat Lay, Maurizio Zuluaga, Hijo Nam and Kim Wiseman. 255 Brunswick St (9th/10th), 201-533-0333. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (performance)(music) 7pm-10pm ARTISTIC PRIDE PRODUCTIONS presents “HDMI featuring Glenn Coleman and Anthony Wills Jr.” A curated evening of performance headlined by Glenn Coleman who will perform covers, originals and improvised works. Followed by all access open mic. 61 Charles St. (Charles/Summit) (773) 879-8669. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible. Tactile-Tour.
- (art)(educational) 6pm-9pm 107 BOWERS GALLERY & ARTSPACE presents “Experience Young Masters Children's Art Class.” Stop by to learn more about our Young Masters Children’s Art Class! We welcome children of all ages to touch and feel art materials while creating an art project to take home. View, touch and feel the work of artist Mike Dreeland from his NYC Radiator Covers series. 107 Bowers St (Central/Cambridge), 201.280.4821. Family-friendly. Tactile Tour.
- (art)(performance) 7pm-9pm PRIME GALLERY presents “Creative Session.” Invite your friends, sip your favorite beverage and enjoy step-by-step instruction for creating your one-of-a-kind artwork with Ukrainian Artist, Yelena Kimelblat from our current exhibition, MONOCHROME. The subject will be sunflowers; the symbol of hope and her native country’s national flower. Ms. Kimelblat will also offer a free creativity session Children 12+. 351 Palisade Ave (Franklin/Ferry), 973-953-6497. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible. Tactile tour.
- (art)(music) 6pm-10pm EONTA SPACE presents “Natalie Giugni's Bones of Flight.” Every culture has shared this fascination with birds’ capacity to reach celestial horizons. This can be seen from ancient mythological tales to our contemporary superheroes soaring through the skies. In “Bones of Flight,” a new life is given to bits and pieces of birds and bones through deconstruction and abstraction of their imagery. 34 Dekalb Ave (Dead End off of Van Reypen St), 201-536-1119. Barrier-free. Family-friendly. Tactile tour.
- (art) 6pm-10pm SMUSH GALLERY presents “Zero to 60—JC Fridays Party.” Party it up at ‘Zero to 60 // fast work // sixty dollars max,’ SMUSH Gallery’s high energy group show featuring more than a dozen visual and text based artists from Jersey City, New York, and beyond. On view May 25 - June 9. All work $0-60. 340 Summit Ave (Summit/Academy).
NEWARK AVENUE (ON AND AROUND)
- (art)(music) 6pm-10pm GIA GELATO presents “BLACK AND BROWN.” Black and Brown is a mixed media art show featuring Jersey City artists Akil Roper (painting)and Anisa Rahim (photography). Roper and Rahim highlight and celebrate people of color through various portraits and other representations. Opening night will feature a return performance from the band Najeli Soul, who performed at Gia Gelato and Cafe last September. 281 Newark Ave (Monmouth/3rd), 201-216-0555. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible. Tactile Tour.
- (art) 6:30pm-9:30pm GALLERIE HUDSON presents “Magnificent Milena—Oil Paintings of Jersey City Waterfront.” A series of oil paintings of the famed skyline merging into Jersey City's waterfront. As well as a personal collection of unique art glass works. 197 Newark Ave. (Jersey/Newark) (201) 434-1010. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 5pm-7pm PROARTS JERSEY CITY presents “Momentum.” ProArts Jersey City announces “Momentum” a multi-media art show which will be on view at Nimbus Dance Works. 165 Newark Ave. (Columbus/Barrow) (201) 377-0718. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art)(performance) 6pm-9pm PROARTS JERSEY CITY presents “Curators Choice” art exhibition and poetry reading. The exhibit features 9 artists selected by professional curators following a one-day portfolio review event called Meet the Curators. Poetry reading by poet, teacher, and filmmaker Janet R. Kirchheimer—who looks to the past to help create a better future—at 7:15 and 8:15. Casa Colobmo 380 Monmouth St. (1st/ 2nd), 201-771-2781. Family-Friendly.
- (art) 7pm-10pm JERSEY CITY ART SCHOOL presents “Can I Kick It?” Norm Kirby will be showing new drawings, paintings, sculpture and collage. 313 Third St (Monmouth/Coles), 201-899-5492. Family-Friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 6pm-9pm WANDA CROUDY presents “It Begins with Passion: Incandescent Expressions of Art and Design.” Art and design exhibition curated by Wanda Croudy at the Garden Level Gallery. 315 3rd St. (Monmouth/Cole), 917-627-9342.
POWERHOUSE ARTS DISTRICT
- (art) 6pm-8pm THE OAKMAN presents “The Art Project.” Take a tour of 14 solo artist lobbies including works by Injoo Whang, Ani Rosskam, Karen Nielsen-Fried, Susan Evans Grove, Bill Leech, Caridad Kennedy, Alejandro Rubin, Kerry Kolenut, Pat Lay and David French. 160 First St (Marin Blvd/Provost), 201-685-0117. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.
- (art) 6pm-8pm SHUSTER MANAGEMENT/THE ART HOUSE presents “The Art Project.” Take a tour of 14 floors of solo artist lobbies-works by Bruce Halpin, Elaine Hansen, Joanie Gagnon San Chirico, David French, Timothy Heins, Rajendra Mehta, Diane Tenerelli, Bill Rybak, Harriet Finck and Deirdre Kennedy. 148 First St (Marin Blvd/Provost) 201-798-0928. Family-friendly. Wheelchair Accessible.