THE ELEPHANT MAN
by Bernard Pomerance
WHEN: Tuesday, March 3, and Thursday, March 5 from 7:00 to 9:00pm. Callbacks will be held by invitation, if necessary, only on Saturday, March 7, from 11 am to 2 pm.
WHERE: Circle Players, 416 Victoria Avenue, Piscataway
Circle Players announces auditions for the final show of its 2019 – 2020 season, The Elephant Man.
PERFORMANCES: opens May 15 and continues through June 7. No performances will be held over Memorial Day weekend.
Synopsis: Dr. Frederic Treves discovers John Merrick, who has been born with a congenital disorder, working in a London sideshow to earn a living as the “The Elephant Man.” When Treves brings Merrick into his home, he discovers that that Merrick’s rough exterior hides a refined soul, and that Merrick can teach the British upper class a lesson about dignity.
Director Khy Garner seeks actors for the following roles. All roles require British accents. Additional accent considerations are noted for each character as necessary.
- Dr. Frederick Treves: Surgeon and teacher, he has chosen to care for and examine John Merrick in the interest of science. Early 30s.
- John Merrick, The Elephant Man. *Note: the actor who plays Merrick will not be required to wear any prosthetic, but will instead portray physical abnormalities through contortion. This actor must be physically fit and free from back trouble. This role also requires partial nudity* Age 25-30
- Mrs Kendal: An actress at the Drury Lane Theatre. Age 30-40. One of many socialites who becomes friends with Merrick. *Note: this role will require partial nudity.
In addition, seven performers are required to play the following sets of multiple roles:
- Carr Gomm/Conductor: Administrator of the London Hospital. Friend to Treves. Age 35-50
- Ross/Bishop How: As Ross, Manager of the Elephant Man. Cockney accent. Unkempt and cruel. Age 35-50
- Ms. Sandwich/Princess Alexandra/Nurse: Age 40-50
- Pinhead/Will/Orderly: Any age or race.
- Pinhead/Countess/Nurse/English Policeman/Orderly: Any age or race.
Note: As stated in the script, the ‘Pinheads’ are two women with pointed heads. This illusion will be achieved through costume.
- Voice/Belgian Policeman/Orderly: Any age
- Pinheads’ Manager/Snort/Lord John/ Orderly: Any age
Questions about the play or roles can be directed to the producer, John Dowgin, by email via email@example.com