AND THEN…THERE WAS PAINT
a show of works by four local artists whose different aesthetics all connect through their pursuit of art as a second career.
WHEN: June 12, 2019 – August 29, 2019. Opening Reception: Wednesday, June 19, 6-8pm. Gallery Hours: Monday to Friday 7am-7pm.
WHERE: Academy Square Gallery, 33 Plymouth Street, Montclair
About the Artists
- Steven Mairella received his undergraduate from Brown University and obtained his law degree from Georgetown University. In 2016, after a career specializing in real estate, he became a full-time painter. Since then Mairella has devoted more time and energy to pursuing his interests in art, genealogy and cultural heritage. Those interests have merged in his body of work depicting Italian and Italian-American themes.
- Evan Stuart Marshall is the Guest Mentor for this exhibit. As a second career artist Marshall has become an award-winning contemporary artist based in Roseland, New Jersey. He is a literary agent, and has written numerous books including murder mysteries.
- Robert Nicosia has had a varied career, first teaching History and Sociology at both the high school and college levels, and then in the insurance industry. He established his own insurance company, and also became a nationally known speaker for insurance groups and management. Nicosia publishes the “Music Man Blog” which reviews live music, new and old Jazz CDs and other music related topics with 6,000 - 8,000 viewers each month. Nicosia has carefully documented his career in painting and plans to write a book about the process of learning to paint.
- Noel Nowicki was born in Westchester NY, and grew up on the remnants of the “Bubbling Springs” family farm in Bloomfield, New Jersey. For forty years, Nowicki was a doctor specializing in Internal Medicine and medical acupuncture. After retiring, Nowicki turned his interest to creating art, relearning French, and studying piano.
About the Incubator Program
Studio Montclair’s Incubator Program seeks to mentor new and emerging artists and provide them with a space for what is often their first solo or small group show exhibit.
About Studio Montclair
Studio Montclair Inc. is a non-profit organization of exhibiting professional and emerging artists and others interested in the visual arts. In the past year, it has exhibited more than 280 works of art and has encouraged and interacted with close to 1,000 artists.
About the Academy Square Gallery Directors
- Lisa Diamond Rosenthal is a painter and sculptor. She is also the former owner of Montclair’s Nandi School of Art, a local art hub with year-round classes in painting, ceramics, fiber arts, animé, and sewing. Each year, Lisa assists various non-profits by facilitating acquisitions and curating large-gallery art shows for fundraisers. A graduate of Cornell University, Lisa now owns and operates a life-and-health coaching business in Little Falls, NJ.
- Sara Holliday is a practicing artist and has taught art for several years in New York. Before focusing on her teaching and art practices, she worked for a New York City graphic design and communications firm. Sara served on the Board of Directors of the International Charter School of NY, she also co-founded and served on the Board of Directors for The Mentoring Tree Foundation, serving underprivileged and underserved youth. Sara holds a Masters in Art and Art Education from Columbia University’s Teachers College.
IMAGES, TOP TO BOTTOM:
- Steven Mairella, Rosetta’s ‘Nzerte, Acrylic on canvas, size 14” x 18”
- Evan Stuart Marshall, Foundation, Mixed media on canvas, 14” x 11”
- Robert Nicosia, Carnegie Hall, Oil on canvas, 16” x 12”
- Noel Nowicki, “Barn Owl,” Oil on canvas, 16” x 12”