BAREFOOT IN THE PARK
by Neil Simon
directed by Michael Hegarty
WHEN: Wednesday, June 28th and Thursday, June 29th at 7:30pm.
WHERE: The Chatham Community Players, 23 North Passaic Avenue, Chatham, NJ 07928
Production dates are October 6 thru 21, 2017 with rehearsals to begin mid-August.
Paul and Corie Bratter are newlyweds in every sense of the word. He’s a straight-as-an-arrow lawyer and she’s a free spirit always looking for the latest kick. Their new apartment is her most recent find – too expensive with bad plumbing and in need of a paint job. After a six-day honeymoon, they get a surprise visit from Corie’s loopy mother and decide to play matchmaker during a dinner with their neighbor-in-the-attic, Velasco, where everything that can go wrong, does. Paul just doesn’t understand Corie, as she sees it. He’s too staid, too boring, and she just wants him to be a little more spontaneous. Running “barefoot in the park” would be a start. "A BUBBLING, RIB-TICKLING COMEDY." - The New York Times
"Critic weeps joyfully...I don't think anybody stopped laughing while the curtain was up last evening." - New York Daily News
Director Hegarty seeks four men / two women to fill out his cast.
- Be familiar with the play and to be prepared to read from sides, which can be found on Chatham Players’ website and will be available at the audition.
- Prepared comic monologues are welcome but not required.
- To access sides and the audition form, please visit our website at http://www.chathamplayers.org/auditions.html .
- Corie Bratter (young female, 18-30): Young, bright and head over heels in love with her new husband, Paul. She wants to seize every moment and adventure as she carves out their new life together. Her insatiable spirit creates sparkling memorable moments but her immaturity leads to conflict.
- Paul Bratter (young male, 20-35) Corie’s responsible and doting husband. Now that the honeymoon is over, Paul is focusing on his budding career as a lawyer. He can be a bit cold and sarcastic, but his practical approach to life balances his new marriage.
- Mrs. Ethel Banks (character female, 45-60) Corie’s mother. Now, that Corie has moved out, Ethel is alone and unsure what’s next. She is resistant to new things but is excited to watch Corie and Paul start their new life, even though her daughter’s approach seems a little bizarre.
- Victor Velasco (character male, 50-70) Victor Velasco is the worldly and eccentric attic dwelling neighbor to Paul and Corie. He and Corie share the same Carpe Diem spirit—his nights are filled with exotic foods, slow dances and serenades.
- Telephone Repair Man (character male, 30-60) Installs and repairs the Bratters’ phone. May double as a backstage helper.
- Delivery Man (character male, 40s-70s) – Silent role. Delivers packages to Bratters’ 5th floor apartment. May double as a backstage helper.
The Chatham Players have an open call casting policy. ALL roles are open, none are precast, and everyone is encouraged to audition.