THE SLAVE WHO BECAME A MAN
By Georgiana Hart
Directed by Kevin Hoovler
The Strollers of Maplewood, NJ, in their Selected Submission for the 2012 NYC International Fringe Festival, are looking to cast the below listed roles in an original play titled The Slave Who Became a Man, by Georgiana Hart.
This is the true story of a Pre-Civil War era, enslaved house maid, Ellen Craft, who escapes the South by impersonating a white male slaveholder, traveling north for supposed medical attention, accompanied only by his man servant, William Craft, who is, in reality, her husband.
Over an eight-day period, these two slaves successfully escaped from Macon, Georgia, traveling north through Philadelphia on their perilous journey to freedom.
The play has been adapted and copyrighted from the book, The Journey of 1000 Miles to Freedom, written by William Craft
Performances will be at The Soho Playhouse, 15 Vandam Street, between Varick and 6th Ave., New York
- Tuesday, Aug 14th @ 5:30 PM
- Wednesday, Aug 15th @ 8 PM
- Thursday, Aug 16th @ 7 PM
- Friday, Aug 17th @ 3:30 PM
- Saturday, Aug 18th @ 6 PM
Rehearsals are on going at: The Burgdorf Cultural Center, 10 Durand Rd., Maplewood
If you are interested in taking on either of the below described 2 roles and are willing to commit to the listed performance dates, please contact the director, Keith Hoovler to discuss further or forward your resumes and head shots, via email.
Actors should be comfortable with the creation of several distinct characters as listed.
- Stephan Clay - (25 to 50+yrs) / A Southern man of commerce traveling by train out of Macon, Georgia, who has a brief first encounter with Ellen Craft, disguised as a man.
- Slave Trader – (same age range) / A lower middle class, southern business man traveling by steamboat to Charleston, SC. A man who bears the scars of the trade he has chosen. In full support of “the cause”
- Young Gentleman - (20 - 30yrs) / He witnesses and participates in a telling exchange between a Southern Woman and Ellen as(“Mr Johnson”)
- Military Officer - (same age range) / A large and flamboyant buffoon, who unbeknownst to himself, befriends Ellen (Mr. Johnson) in the bid to escape north
- Landlord - A sympathetic Philadelphia Landlord, who is the Craft’s first taste of Sanctuary.
- Passenger # 2 - on the train platform during the Crafts last brush with slavery’s hold over them.
Questions? If you have any questions, please feel free to email or call the following: