THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE
Directed by Amy Fox
Musical Director Kristyn Algieri
Choreographer Lynsey Price
WHEN: Sunday, June 10, at 6:30 PM; Wednesday, June 13, at 7:30 PM; Callbacks: Sunday, June 17, at 7:00 PM
WHERE: The Studio Players, 14 Alvin Place, Upper Montclair
This Tony Award-winning show is the unlikeliest of musicals about the unlikeliest of heroes; a quirky yet charming cast of outsiders for whom a spelling bee is the one place they can stand out and fit in at the same time.
Spelling Bee is a lighthearted spoof about students in the throes of puberty, overseen by adults who barely escaped childhood themselves, who learn that winning isn’t everything and that losing doesn’t necessarily make you a loser.
- CHIP TOLENTINO (Male, 17 – 35): The reigning spelling champion, athletic and social and confident. Chip is going through some changes (role requires ability to sing high notes) (doubles as Jesus)
- LOGAINNE SCHWARTZANDGRUBENIERE (Female, 17-30): Younger than most of the bee contestants, a driven girl who wants to make her two dads proud. She has a lisp, is uncomfortable in her own skin, but has a commanding presence.
- LEAF CONEYBEAR (Male, 17-35): A home schooled boy with many siblings, Leaf did not expect to be in the Bee. Being in public is an adventure for him. He has severe ADD, and seems a bit odd, but delights in his wandering focus. (doubles as CARL Dad)
- WILLIAM BARFEE (Male, 17-35 with a stocky build): with a host of health problems and a lot to prove, William is loud and combative. He is the fat kid who became a bully to avoid getting picked on. Not expecting kindness from anyone but his mom, he is slow to friendship. His spelling talent involves using his “magic” foot to spell out words on the floor.
- MARCY PARK (Female, 17-35): An overachiever from whom excellence is expected and failure not an option. A product of the parochial school system, Marcy has issues but keeps them to herself. She has moved around a lot and feels confident that she can beat the local talent.
- OLIVE OSTROWSKY (Female, 17-35): A word lover who leads a quiet life. She is an only child with absentee parents and spends a lot of time alone, words are her friends. She starts out very shy, but blossoms.
- RONA LISA PERETTI (Female, 25-50): The hostess of the Bee and local realtor, Rona is also a past spelling bee champion. This is her day to be queen. She keeps the bee running, conveys crucial information to the audience. She tries to minimize the importance of her own bee crown because she is embarrassed about how much it still means to her. (doubles as Olive’s Mom)
- VICE PRINCIPAL DOUGLAS PANCH (Male, 25-50+): An educator stuck in a job he hates without advancement in sight. Doug is frustrated with his life. He doesn’t understand the drive of the contestants since nothing has ever been important to him. He was not pleased to be asked to substitute at the bee, but is eager to please the local hostess. (May be doubled as Olive’s Dad)
- MITCH MAHONEY (Male, 20 – 40) The manor of a bouncer, he is an odd choice as comfort counselor – but he is here as part of a community service assignment. He has the unique perspective of an outsider. He has no real idea of how to offer comfort, but as things progress finds himself genuinely wishing he could find a way to help the kids feel better about losing here and perhaps out in the world as well. (Doubles as DAN Dad, may also double as Olive’s Dad)
Please prepare 16 bars of music (bring sheet music along, please).
Come dressed in or bring comfortable clothes for movement portion.
Sides will be provided.
Performances: September 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 30, Oct. 5, 6