WHEN: Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM; Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 7:30pm - 10:30pm
WHERE: The Barn Theatre, 32 Skyline Drive, Montville
Set in the not-so-distant future, a terrible water shortage and 20-year drought has led to a government ban on private toilets and a proliferation of paid public toilets (owned and operated by a single megalomaniac company). The poor stage a revolt, led by a brave young hero, fighting tooth and nail for the freedom they all pray for. A brilliant musical satire modeled off the plays of Weill and Brecht, Urinetown is a wickedly funny, fast-paced, and surprisingly intelligent comedic romp.
Please prepare a short song, and bring sheet music in the appropriate key. An accompanist will be provided. Director and musical director may not need to hear the entire song.
- Officer Lockstock: The tongue-in-cheek narrator of our story, he is a corrupt policeman who secretly kills off the guilty offenders. Bold, brash, and larger than life in many ways. Gender: Male Age: 35 to 55 Vocal range top: A4 Vocal range bottom: A2
- Penelope Pennywise: The tough, jaded warden of the poorest, filthiest town urinal. She is Cladwell's one-time lover and mother to Hope who eventually softens her temper. Gender: Female Age: 30 to 45 Vocal range top: C6 Vocal range bottom: A3
- Bobby Strong: The dashing, rebellious everyman who works for Miss Pennywise at the poorest, filthiest town urinal. He becomes an unsuspecting protagonist and romantic hero when he starts a revolution and falls in love with Hope Cladwell. Gender: Male Age: 20 to 35 Vocal range top: C5 Vocal range bottom: A2
- Little Sally: A precocious and irreverent street urchin. She serves as a quasi-narrator who often questions Lockstock and the play's logic. Gender: Female Age: 20 to 30 Vocal range top: E5 Vocal range bottom: A3
- Dr. Billeaux: Head of Research and Development at UGC. Optional Doubling as TINY TOM. Gender: Male Age: 20 to 50 Vocal range top: A3
Vocal range bottom: E3
- Mr. Mcqueen: Cladwell's sycophantic lackey. A servile assistant. Gender: Male Age: 20 to 45 Vocal range top: E4 Vocal range bottom: B2
- Senator Fipp: A greedy politician in Cladwell's pocket. A bumbling coward. Gender: Male Age: 40 to 55 Vocal range top: F4 Vocal range bottom: C#3
- Officer Barrel: Lockstock's patrol partner. A thuggish and aggressive policeman. Gender: Male Age: 30 to 50 Vocal range top: F4 Vocal range bottom: G2
- Hope Cladwell: Cladwell's ravishingly beautiful daughter, torn between her father and her new love for Bobby. She begins as an innocent, naive angel but becomes vengeful and determined after being exposed to her father's evil. Gender: Female Age: 20 to 30 Vocal range top: A5 Vocal range bottom: A3
- Joseph "Old Man" Strong: Bobby's rebellious father. His refusal to pay the fee sends him to Urinetown, ultimately launching the revolution. Optional Doubling as HOT BLADES HARRY. Gender: Male Age: 40 to 65
- Tiny Tom: One of the Poor, he is an idiotic man-child. Optional Doubling as DR. BILLEAUX. Gender: Male Age: 30 to 50 Vocal range top: A3 Vocal range bottom: D3
- Soupy Sue: One of the Poor, she is excitable and easily panicked. Optional Doubling as CALDWELL'S SECRETARY. Gender: Female Age: 25 to 40 Vocal range top: B4 Vocal range bottom: Bb3
- Little Becky Two-shoes: One of the Poor. She is foul-mouthed, impulsive, and accusatory. Optional Doubling as MRS. MILLENIUM. Gender: Female Age: 20 to 40 Vocal range top: F5 Vocal range bottom: Bb3
- Caldwell B. Cladwell: The evil president and owner of the Urine Good Company. He is a miserly money-grubber who gleefully exploits the poor. Gender: Male Age: 50 to 65 Vocal range top: G4 Vocal range bottom: A2
- Josephine "Ma" Strong: Bobby's mother and Joseph's wife. A strong-willed woman with a bite, able to withstand the hard hand life has dealt her. Optional Doubling as OLD WOMAN. Gender: Female Age: 55 to 65 Vocal range top: D5 Vocal range bottom: Bb3
- Hot Blades Harry: One of the Poor, he is a psychopathic and can become a violent loose cannon. Optional Doubling as JOSEPH "OLD MAN" STRONG. Gender: Male Age: 45 to 60 Vocal range top: F4 Vocal range bottom: A2
Actors are asked to arrive to sign in within the first hour of the audition start time. All roles are available. Casting is open, and newcomers are especially welcomed. Crew and other volunteers are also needed for the event. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Barn does not charge a participation fee.
***IMPORTANT: You will be asked to list ALL potential conflict dates AT THE TIME of your audition, (NOT after casting). Please be prepared with your calendar and out-dates, as a rehearsal schedule will be generated based upon availability of staff and cast.
The Barn is an all-volunteer organization, we are unable to provide housing or offer remuneration.