The Electronic Dragon
Book by Lee Frank Turner with additional material by Carol Cornicelli
Music by Joshua Stone, Lyrics by James Beloff
Musical Direction by Ebony Wiggins
WHEN: Monday, December 4, 7:30-9:30pm; Tuesday, December 5, 7:30-9:30pm. Callbacks: Friday, December 8, 7:30pm
WHERE: 10 Durand Rd., Maplewood
THE ELECTRONIC DRAGON is a musical fantasy for the whole family. George Jones, a young actor in 1984, finds himself magically transported to the year 2020, where life in America is very much like one continuous Sci-Fi TV program. Disturbed by the condition of this ultra-technological society, George gains access to the media by becoming the star of a new TV program designed to get America in shape and to encourage the people to open up to their innermost feelings and to one another—and out of this new awareness evolves a new world.
Director Carol Cornicelli is seeking a multi-ethnic cast of adults, teens and child actors who can sing.
Performances: Friday, February 2, 7:00pm, Saturday, February 3, 2:00pm, Sunday, February 4, 2:00pm, Friday, February 9, 7:00pm, Saturday, February 10, 2:00pm, Sunday, February 11, 2:00pm
Rehearsals are generally Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings from 7:30 – 9:30P (young children can leave earlier). There is a break for the holidays.
Come prepared to sing a song (bring sheet music) and to do some movement. Script sides will be provided.
Character Break-Down [Note: All characters can be any ethnicity]:
- George Jones (early 20’s-early 30’s) – idealistic actor from 1984. (3 songs.)
- Our Leader (any age from 25 up) – charismatic female talk-show-host turned “President.” (Lead in 2 songs.)
- Jane – OL’s comedic side-kick.
- Henrietta 045-72-0869-F (40+) – married to Harvey, mother to Miranda and Henry; the dutiful housewife and mother who once was a librarian. (Two duets, plus some ensemble.)
- Harvey 069-73-4512-M (40+) – married to Henrietta, father to Miranda and Henry. A recently unemployed doctor. (2 songs, plus some ensemble.)
- Miranda 425-62-7311-F (late teens-early 20’s) – Henrietta and Harvey’s daughter. A dreamer and doodler who is not as absorbed by technology. (2 songs, plus some ensemble.)
- Henry (late teens-early 20’s) – Henrietta and Harvey’s son who is sullen and silent until…
- TV Actors: Ensemble of adults, teens and children who act in commercials and play other featured roles. (3 ensemble numbers plus commercial jingles.)