Fiddler on the Roof
directed by Scott Hart
musical directed by Charles
choreographed by Roxanna Wagner
WHEN: Sunday and Monday, August
27 and 28thN from 7 to 10 pm. Callback date TBD if needed.
WHERE: Barn Theatre is located at the end of Skyline Drive in Montville
For directions to the theatre, please see
Actors are asked to arrive to sign in within the first hour of the
audition start time. All roles are available and casting is open;
newcomers are especially welcomed! Crew and other volunteers are also
needed for the event. If interested, please firstname.lastname@example.org
Set in the little village of Anatevka, the story centers on Tevye, a
poor milkman, and his five daughters. With the help of a colorful and
tight-knit Jewish community, Tevye tries to protect his daughters and
instill them with traditional values in the face of changing social
mores and the growing anti-Semitism of Czarist Russia.
Winner of nine Tony Awards when it debuted in 1964, Fiddler on the Roof
is the brainchild of Broadway legends, Jerome Robbins and Harold Prince;
songwriters, Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick; and bookwriter, Joseph
Stein. Fiddler on The Roof is presented through special arrangement
with Musical Theatre International (MTI).
The director is seeking a true ensemble cast, full of passion, life and
love for their family, religion and village. True “Passion” for
tradition, that is the key element of the show.
- Please prepare a short song, and bring sheet music in the appropriate
- An accompanist will be provided.
- Director and musical director may
not need to hear the entire song.
- Come prepared to dance, some men may need to learn a short section of
bottle dance. Willing and seeking to showcase one or more truly trained
male “dancers” in large dance sequences. The opportunity to really
highlight your talent and training.
Headshots and resumes are not required but gladly received.
- Fiddler: Director is planning on making this role more prominent.
Seeking a true musician who can play the violin very well and create a
definite character. Although it is male role, will consider a female
musician who can pass as male once in costume and make-up. Please come to audition prepared with instrument and a short piece to play. This person will be filling Violin part in the orchestra, but will be onstage
for much of it. For additional information please contact musical
director with questions at email@example.com.
Tevye - Male Age: 45 to 60 Vocal range top: F4 Vocal range bottom: Ab2
The likeable, hard-working, pious dairyman who always tries to see the
positive side of life. He is a proud patriarch and father of five
daughters, closely raised according to the old scriptures. Seeking a
more “youthful” man in character (not necassaryly age). Someone who can make us laugh one minute and bring us to tears the next. Seeking a
strong actor over singer. Does not need to be the “usual Tevye type”
Golde – Female Age: 40 to 50 Vocal range top: Eb5 Vocal range bottom: A3
Tevye's strong-willed wife who wishes for her daughters to have good
husbands and live easier than she and Tevye
- Tzeitel – Female Age: 18 to 25 Vocal range top: D5 Vocal range bottom: B3 Tevye's eldest daughter, who is madly in love with Motel. She is loyal
to her family but typically challenges the town's traditions.
Hodel – Female Age: 18 to 23 Vocal range top: E5 Vocal range bottom: B3
Tevye's second eldest daughter, who becomes involved with Perchik. She
eventually leaves Anatevka to join Perchik in Siberia.
- Chava- Female Age: 15 to 20 Vocal range top: D5 Vocal range bottom: B3
Tevye's middle daughter who loves to read. Falls in love and runs off
with Fydeka, a Russian soldier.
- Shprintze- Female Age: 9 to 13 Vocal range top: D5 Vocal range bottom: B3 Tevye's fouth eldest daughter who takes lessons at home from Perchik.
Bielke – Female Age: 8 to 12 Vocal range top: D5 Vocal range bottom: B3
Tevye's youngest daughter. Takes lessons at home from Perchik.
- Yente- Female Age: 50 to 60 Vocal range top: F5 Vocal range bottom: F3 The meddling matchmaker. She is a widow and village busybody who knows all of the town gossip
- Motel – Male Age: 18 to 25 Vocal range top: F#4 Vocal range bottom: E3 The poor and meek tailor who shares a deep love with Tzeitel. Sensitive and nervous, but sincere and friendly.
- Perchik- Male Age: 20 to 30 Vocal range top: E4 Vocal range bottom: B2 The outspoken student and visitor to Anatevka, who constantly challenges the traditions of the town. He eventually falls in love with Hodel.
- Lazar Wolf- Male Age: 40 to 50 Vocal range top: F#4 Vocal range bottom: C3 The feisty, brawny butcher and the town's wealthiest citizen who wishes to marry Tzeitel.
- Avram- Male Age: 40 to 60 Vocal range top: Eb4 Vocal range bottom: D3 Runs the local bookshop and keeps the town advised of all the news in the area.
- Grandma Tzeitel-Female Age:60 to 75 Vocal range top: D5 Vocal range bottom: C#4 Golde's deceased grandmother, who endorses the marriage between Tzeitel and Motel.
- Fruma-sarah –Female Age:35 to 45 Vocal range top:Eb5 Vocal range bottom: C4 Lazar's Wolf's deceased first wife. She becomes enraged when her husband plans to wed Tzeitel. Must NOT be afraid of heights.
- Constable- Male Age: 35 to 45 Russian military official stationed near Anatevka who knows the villagers well, however he has superficial relationships with the villagers.
Fyedka- Male Age: 20 to 25
A strong, young Russian soldier who sees past his military obligations
and falls in love with Chava. He challenges Tevye's imposed silence.
- Rabbi Older character actor, small in stature, frail.
- 2 young boys 6-10 years of age.
Villagers, Russian Soldiers, etc.
Performance Dates (Nov 10 to Dec 2, 2017):
Friday, November 10, 2017 at 8pm
Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 2pm
Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 2pm
Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8pm (Potential Benefit Performance)
Friday, November 17, 2017 at 8pm (Potential Benefit Performance)
Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 8pm
Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 2pm
Friday, November 24, 2017 at 8pm
Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 8 pm
Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 2pm
Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 8pm (Potential Benefit Performance)
Friday, December 1, 2017 at 8pm
Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 8pm
IMPORTANT: You will be asked to list ALL potential conflict dates AT
THE TIME of your audition (not after casting as the director reserves
the right to replace anyone who develops too many conflicts AFTER
casting). Please be prepared with your calendar and out-dates, as a
rehearsal schedule will be generated based upon availability of staff