OPEN EQUITY PRINCIPLE AUDITION NOTICE
THE LEARNED LADIES
WHEN: Thursday, September 7, from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM; by appointment
WHERE: Lackland Center Kutz Theater located on the campus of Centenary University (715 Grand Ave. Hackettstown, NJ)
Centenary Stage Company a not-for-profit professional Equity Theater located in Hackettstown, NJ (approx. 50 miles west of NYC) will be holding open Equity Principle Auditions for the upcoming production of Freyda Thomas’ screwball comedy adaptation of Moliere’s The Learned Ladies.
Like a screwball comedy from the 1930’s, (which is how CSC is staging it) there is chaos in the household of Chrysale and his wife Philamente. Philamente has decided to dedicate herself and home to the life of the mind and to the pursuit of noble thought and intellectual rigor. Chrysale would just like dinner. There’s also a poet who will not leave, an eccentric sister, a sexy maid, a hotheaded suitor to the youngest daughter who the Mother would rather marry off to the poet, a frustrated older sister, numerous pretentious hangers on and so forth, making for a sprightly evening of theater. The production will be directed by Centenary Stage Company Artistic Director, Carl Wallnau.
Centenary Stage Company operates under an SPT 4 contract with a minimum weekly salary of $366 for equity performers. Rehearsals run September 18 through October 5 with performances running October 6 through October 22. No moderator will be provided. Producer will run all aspects of the audition.
To schedule an appointment interested performers must call the Centenary Stage Company box office at (908) 979 – 0900. Equity Members without an appointment will be seen throughout the day, as time permits.
- Sides will be provided. Blind/low vision performers may request an advance copy of sides when making an audition appointment.
- Please bring a photo and resume, stapled back-to-back.
- Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
- Always bring your Equity Membership card to auditions.
- Philamente – wife of Chrysale, a liberated woman, head of the house (50s).
- Henriette – daughter of Chrysale and Philamente, sweet, the ingénue (20s).
- Chrysale – husband of Philamente, afraid of her, father to Henriette and Armande (50 – 60).
- Lycandre – Henriette’s suitor, hotheaded but a good guy (30s)
- Trissotin – a house guest and a bad poet, pursuing Henriette (30s/40s).
- Armande – older sister to Henriette, a wannabe liberated woman (30s).
- Arista – Chrysale’s sister, the voice of reason (50s).
- Belise – Chrysale’s other sister, very eccentric but lovable (60s).
- Martine – the maid, street smart and sassy but has poor grammar, sexy, buxom (any age).
- Vadius – another poet, Trissotin’s rival (also plays Judge).