THE STINKY CHEESE MAN AND OTHER FAIRLY STUPID TALES
a children’s show based on the book by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith
adapted by John Glore
directed by John Fraissinet
WHEN: Sunday, January 22, at 7pm and Monday, January 23, at 7:30pm. Callbacks by invitation only are Wednesday, January 25.
WHERE: Studio Playhouse located at 14 Alvin Place, off Valley Road near the Acme, in Upper Montclair
The award-winning book comes to the stage, bringing a zany collection of “fairly stupid tales” to life. Our narrator Jack tries to keep a wild group of your favorite storybook characters in line before total chaos or a song breaks out. No need to hold your nose, this uproarious show mixes humor, music, and audience participation that will delight both children and adults.
Performance dates: April 29, 30 and May 6, 7 at 1:30 and 3:30pm.
No monologues required. Sides from the script will be provided and are available prior to auditions online at www.StudioPlayhouse.org
No Pay, No Fee
- Actor 1 (Male) – stage age range 18-40 (lead - potentially 3 parts) • Characteristics: Ability to act youthful even if not youthful, poised, able to ad lib • Suggested Characters: Bumbling Narrator, Jack in the Beanstalk, Tortoise
- Actor 2 (Male) - stage age range 18-40 (potentially 5 parts) • Characteristics: Sly, Cocky, Smart Aleck, Whiny Dope, can sing • Suggested Characters: Cocky Locky, Prince (Solo Song), 1st Step-sister, Owl, Stinky Cheese Man (Solo Song)
- Actor 3 (Male) - stage age range 20-40 (potentially 6 parts) • Characteristics: Tough, Sly, possibly Tall, can rap • Suggested Characters: Foxy Loxy, Ugly Duck (Solo Rap), Wolf, Giant, Stepsister 2, Fox
- Actor 4 (Male) - stage age range 35+ (potentially 6 parts) • Characteristics: Self-doubt, authoritative, possibly short, can appear old • Suggested Characters: Surgeon General, King, Frog, Rumpelstiltskin, Little Old Man, Cow Head
- Actor 5 (Female) - stage age range 18-30 (potentially 4 parts) • Characteristics: Bossy, Ingenue, can sing • Suggested Characters: Ducky Lucky, Princess 2, Cinderella (Solo Song), Cow Butt
- Actor 6 (Female) - stage age range 35+ (potentially 5 parts) • Characteristics: Motherly figure, Scattered, Bossy • Suggested Characters: Red Hen, Goosey Loosey, Queen, Stepmother, Little Old Lady
- Actor 7 (Female) - stage age range 18-35 (potentially 4 parts) • Characteristics: Full of herself, Edgy, energetic • Suggested Characters: Chicken Licken, the beautiful Princess , Little Red Running Shorts, Rabbit
All roles are comedic. Singing, improv or slapstick pratfalls is a plus. All actors must be over 18 years old.
The show is made up of multiple quick scenes and has many roles (as many as 29 individual characters). There will be a minimum of seven actors (4 male and 3 female) with the number of multiple roles for each actor to be determined at the time of casting (expected to be 3 to 6 roles each). The number of actors may be expanded based on the makeup of those who audition.
There are several choral and a few solo songs in the show. While singing ability will be considered, strong comic acting is preferred. Actors will be asked to sing the Hallelujah Chorus accompanied by recorded music (no preparation is required) and, in the spirit of the show, singing badly will not disqualify anyone. Sides will be provided, and will be used to judge the actor’s sense of material and not necessarily match the part(s) that will be played in the show.