9 to 5 THE MUSICAL
Book by Patricia Resnick
Music and Lyrics by Dolly Parton
directed by Claudia Metz.
WHEN: Sunday September 11th, 7pm to 10 pm and Monday, September 12th, 7pm to 10 pm. Actors are asked to arrive to sign in within the first hour of the audition start time.
WHERE: The Barn Theatre is located at 32 Skyline Drive in Montville, NJ, just minutes off Route 287 (Exit 47).
PERFORMANCE DATES: Nov. 11, 19, 25, 26, Dec.1, 2, & 3 @ 8 pm and Nov. 12, 13, 20,& 27 @ 2 pm. (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.)Actors are asked to arrive to sign in within the first hour of the audition start time.
9 To 5 The Musical, with music and lyrics by Dolly Parton and book by Patricia Resnick, is based on the hit movie starring Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton and Dabney Coleman. Set in 1979, “when apples and blackberries were something you’d pick behind the barn,” this hilarious story of friendship and revenge in the Rolodex era is outrageous, thoughtprovoking, and even a little romantic.
Pushed to the boiling point, three female coworkers concoct a plan to get even with the sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot they call their boss. In a hilarious turn of events, Violet, Judy and Doralee live out their wildest fantasy giving their boss the boot! While Hart remains "otherwise engaged," the women give their workplace a dream makeover, taking control of the company that had always kept them down.
- Please prepare 32 bars for your vocal audition.
- Please bring sheet music in your key. An accompanist will be provided.
- Songs from 9 to 5 are welcome, but not necessary.
- If you are auditioning for a specific role, please select a piece in that range. Actors being considered for certain roles MAY be asked to learn a short dance combination. Bring/wear shoes/clothes that will allow for dance.
IMPORTANT: You will be asked to list ALL potential conflict dates AT THE TIME of your audition, (NOT after casting). Please be prepared with your calendar and out-dates, as a rehearsal schedule will be generated based upon availability of staff and cast.
All roles are open/ available. Age appropriate actors, singers, and dancers of all types, races, are encouraged to attend. Newcomers are especially welcomed. Crew and other volunteers are also needed for the production. If interested, please contact email@example.com
CAST REQUIREMENTS: (7 males, 8 females +)
- VIOLET NEWSTEAD: Female 40-50 Vocal range: alto. Smart, efficient, widowed mother of a teenage son who is constantly being passed up for promotion in the boys’club world of climbing the corporate ladder. She runs the office from her desk while her boss takes the credit. She is frustrated with her position, but not bitter. Comedic role – witty and sharp
- JUDY BERNLY: Female 30-40 Vocal range: soprano, high belt. Judy Bernly is a meek housewife with her first foray into the working world when her husband runs off with his secretary. Judy changes throughout the play into a force to be reckoned with, taking control of herself and her life. Comedic role – confusion.
- DORALEE RHODES: Female 25 -35 Vocal range: soprano, high belt. Doralee Rhodes is a sexy, country gal who is the secretary for the boss, Franklin Hart. She is misunderstood at the beginning of the play due to rumors about an affair with the boss, but comes to be a strong cog in the machine that destroys Hart. Country singing. Comedy is sharp and nononsense.
- FRANKLIN HART: Male 45-60 Vocal range: baritone. Franklin Hart is a pompous jerk and his own biggest fan. If he wasn’t the boss, he would have no friends at all. Was trained by Violet, and then promoted ahead of her, so there is no love lost between them. Spends his time trying to seduce Doralee. Smarmy. Sexist, Egotistical, Lying, Hypocritical, Bigot.
- ROZ KEITH: Female 30+ Vocal range: alto, high belt. Roz Keith is the office busybody. She is in love with Mr. Hart, and does everything she can to undermine the rest of the office to earn his affections. Over the top comedic role.
- JOE: Male 2029 Vocal range: tenor, high baritone. Charming, attractive accountant who is interested in Violet. Doubles in the Men’s Ensemble.
- KATHY: Female 18+. Office Gossip. Doubles in the Women’s Ensemble
- DWAYNE RHODES: Male 20-35. Doralee’s husband. Country. Doubles in the Men’s Ensemble.
- MARGARET Female 35+. Office lush. Doubles in the Women’s Ensemble.
- MISSY HART: Female 18+. Hart’s Wife. Fluttery and Ditzy. Doubles in the Women’s Ensemble.
- JOSH NEWSTEAD: Male 15-18. Violet’s teenage son. Must look young enough to pass as a teenager, but old enough to double in the Men’s Ensemble.
- DICK BERNLY: Male 30-50. Judy’ sleazy exhusband. Also doubles as the detective.
- BOB ENRIGHT: Male 40+. Franklin Hart’s YesMan. Also trained by Violet and promoted over her. Also doubles as the cop.
- MARIA DELGADO: Female 18+. Young and vibrant secretary. Gets fired by Hart wrongfully. Doubles in the Women’s Ensemble. Also doubles as the Candy Striper.
- RUSSELL TINSWORTHY: Male, 50+. Chairman of the Board of the company. Colonel Sanders type.
- ENSEMBLE (Male and Female, all ages) Looking for all ages and types of singers and dancers to complete the ensemble. Fun musical arrangements with interesting harmonies and dance numbers.
For more information or directions, call 9733349320 ext. 5, or visit www.barntheatre.org