Local students will perform in Vanguard Theater Company’s
Broadway Buddy Mentorship Cabaret
WHEN: May 22 at 7:30pm
WHERE: South Orange Middle School, 70 Ridgewood Road, South Orange
For tickets and information go to www.vanguardtheater.org
The cabaret will also showcase Broadway professionals from shows including Hamilton, Aladdin, School of Rock and The Color Purple among others, who, through Vanguard’s Broadway Buddy Program, have served as mentors to the aspiring young musical theater artists. The professionals have met with students to provide show business advice, personal stories and one-on-one performance coaching.
This year’s Broadway Buddy Mentorship program includes 20 Broadway professionals and 23 students. Local participants/performers include:
- Ally Salort (student), Maplewood, Maplewood Middle School- mentored by Eva Agathis of Far Hills. Credits include Kidz Bop Kids!
- Claire Sullivan (student), South Orange, South Orange Middle School- mentored by Elizabeth Ward Lane of Maplewood. Credits include Amazing Grace, Memphis, Scandalous.
- Jacob Tall (student), Maplewood, Columbia High School– mentored by Robert Dusold of Maplewood. Credits include Jekyll & Hyde, Les Miserables, Kiss of the Spiderwoman
Other Maplewood/South Orange mentors include:
- Stephanie Kurtzuba, Maplewood - Credits include Mary Poppins, Billy Elliot and Annie (2014 movie)
- Dwayne Clark, South Orange - Credits include The Color Purple, Spiderman, In the Heights
- Suzanne Hevner, South Orange - Credits include Music Man and films Doubt, Changing Lanes, Meet Joe Black
- Michele Pawk, South Orange - Credits include Mama Mia, Hairspray, Chicago
- Joanna Young, Maplewood – Credits include Grease, The Drowsy Chaperone
- Mandy Gonzalez, South Orange - Credits include Wicked, In the Heights and television’s Madam Secretary
- Troi Gaines, student at Rise Academy - mentored by Dwayne Clark of South Orange whose credits include The Color Purple, Spiderman and In the Heights.
- Gabrielle Domond, student at Mount Vernon School – mentored by Daisy Hobbs of New York City whose credits include Aladdin and Memphis.
- Maurice Perry-Lacy, student at Mount Vernon School – mentored by Avionce Hoyles of New York City whose credits include Sister Act and Memphis
- Quamir Payton, student at Howard University – mentored by DB Bonds of New York City whose credits include Kinky Boots, Legally Blonde and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
“We are excited to see the culminating performances on a local stage,” added co-founder Daryl Stewart. The proceeds from Cabaret will be used to fund scholarships for deserving students to attend Vanguard’s Kid’s Camp in August.
Vanguard Theater Company is committed to producing transformational theater and is dedicated to diversity, community engagement, education and professional artistic mentorship. Through dynamic storytelling, Vanguard produces works that reflect the various complexions of the 21st century artists and audience. Vanguard is a registered 501©(3) not for profit organization created by co-founders Janeece Freeman-Clark and Daryl Stewart.