The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Other Eric Carle Favorites
WHEN: Monday, February 15, 10am, 12:30pm, and 3pm
WHERE: State Theatre, 15 Livingston Ave., New Brunswick
TICKETS: Tickets range from $15-$30.
732-246-SHOW (7469) or visit online at www.StateTheatreNJ.org.
Investors Bank is the lead sponsor of Family Day.
Mermaid Theatre’s magical production presents three of Eric Carle’s storybook tales, adapted for the stage with brilliant black-light puppetry, fanciful music, and the author’s original text. The show includes the wonderful story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly; the fanciful account of Little Cloud’s travels through the sky; and the Mixed-up Chameleon’s discovery of his own unique nature.
Families can spend the school-day holiday enjoying dozens of performances, workshops, and hands-on activities—many of them free—plus costumed characters, face painting, balloon animals, sing-a-longs, a photo booth, coloring station, food, and more. The festival, which runs from 10am to 3:30pm, features multiple venues: the State Theatre, Crossroads Theatre, the George Street Playhouse, and the United Methodist Church.
“Family Day at the State Theatre is a great way for families to spend the school holiday,” said Tom Carto, State Theatre President & CEO. “From mainstage performances of The Very Hungry Caterpillar to dance workshops with American Repertory Ballet to free face painting, there is so much to do. We are thankful to Investors Bank for their support of this wonderful community event.”
“We are grateful for the opportunity to support this year’s Family Day,” said Investors Bank President and CEO Kevin Cummings. “We are proud to stand alongside our friends at the State Theatre, who continue to make positive differences in the lives of the people they serve. On behalf of everyone at Investors Bank, we hope all the attendees have a wonderful time.”
The featured Family Day events include
- performances of The Very Hungry Caterpillar at 10am, 12:30pm, and 3pm at the State Theatre.
- free performances in Crossroads Theatre, including performances by Will Shaw, juggler and magician from Big Apple Circus (10:30am, 2:45pm);
- rock music for kids by two-time Grammy® nominee Brady Rymer (11:30am, 1:45pm);
- community drum circle (12:45pm).
- State Theatre favorite the Philadelphia Zoo on Wheels returns with their “Who’s Who at the Zoo” program, offered free at the United Methodist Church (11am, 12:30pm, 2pm).
A variety of hands-on workshops take place throughout the day
- “Hand-in-Hand” for ages 3-4 (11am)
- a Jazz Dance workshop for ages 9 and up (12pm)
- a Beginning Ballet workshop for ages 6-8 (2pm), led by American Repertory Ballet
- three theater workshops led by coLAB Arts 3-5 (10am, 1pm, 3pm).
- Additionally, FREE arts and crafts activities, will be available from 10am-3pm at Crossroads Theatre.
- No registration is required for the workshops: first come, first served.
Additional support for Family Day provided by The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey.
The State Theatre ticket office, located at 15 Livingston Ave, New Brunswick NJ, is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 10am to 6pm; Wednesday 11am to 7pm; Saturday, 1pm-5pm; and at least three hours prior to curtain on performance dates, unless otherwise specified. For information on group outings and discounts, call 732-247-7200, ext. 517. Some additional ticket and transaction fees may apply.
State Theatre, a premier nonprofit venue for the performing arts and entertainment. The theater exists to enrich people’s lives, contribute to a vital urban environment, and build future audiences by presenting the finest performing artists and entertainers and fostering lifetime appreciation for the performing arts through education. The State Theatre’s programs are made possible, in part, by funding from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, and contributions from numerous corporations, foundations, and individuals. The Heldrich is the official hotel of the State Theatre. Magic 98.3 is the official radio station of the State Theatre. The Star-Ledger is the official newspaper of the State Theatre. United is the official airline of the State Theatre.