Monty Python’s Spamalot
book and lyrics by Eric Idle
music by John Du Prez & Eric Idle
James Mosser directs
Patrick Phillips is Musical Director
Jennifer Williams, the Choreographer
PERFORMANCE DATES: May 6 – 21, 2016 at the Chatham Playhouse. REHEARSALS to begin in early March.
WHEN: Monday, February 22, and Friday, February 26, from 7pm until 10pm
WHERE: The Bickford Theatre located at the Morris Museum 6 Normandy Heights Road, Morristown, NJ.
- Please prepare a joke and 32 bars of a song (in the style of the show).
- Be sure to bring sheet music in the appropriate key. An accompanist will be provided.
- Come prepared to dance. Performers will also be asked to learn and perform a short dance combination.
- Headshots and resumes are not required but gladly received.
The Chatham Players have an open call casting policy. ALL roles are open, none are precast, and everyone is encouraged to audition.
Any questions, please call Leslie Williams at (973) 769-3886 or email email@example.com
For directions or additional information, please visit www.chathamplayers.org
Telling the legendary tale of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and the quest for the Holy Grail in song, Monty Python's Spamalot features "a chorus line of legless knights, men in tights (with legs), killer rabbits and sexy dancing divas! Monty Python's Spamalot is a adapted from the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Like the film, it is a highly irreverent parody of the tale, but it differs from the film in many ways.
Character Breakdowns: (13 Males, 7 Females)
- KING ARTHUR (Late 30s-60s.): The King of England who sets out on a quest to form the Knights of the Roundtable and find the Holy Grail. Great Humor. Good singer.
- SIR ROBIN (30s-40s): A Knight of the Roundtable. Ironically called ‘Sir Robin the Brave,’ though he couldn’t be more cowardly. Joins the Knights for the singing and dancing. Also plays GUARD 1 and BROTHER MAYNARD, a long-winded monk.
- SIR LANCELOT (30s-40): A Knight of the Roundtable. He is fearless to a bloody fault but through a twist of fate, does discover his ‘softer side.’ This actor MUST be great with character voices and accents, as he also plays THE FRENCH TAUNTER, an arrogant, condescending, over-the-top Frenchman, the KNIGHT OF NI, an absurd, cartoonish leader of a peculiar group of Knights, and TIM THE ENCHANTER, a ghostly being with a Scottish accent.
- PATSY (30s-40s): King Arthur’s horse and servant. Underappreciated but always longing for King Arthur’s approval. Good, funny, physical mover with some tap dancing. Also plays MAYOR, a jolly red-faced man who advertises the merits of his home town and the drunken, useless GUARD 2.
- SIR GALAHAD (30s): A Knight of the Roundtable. Begins as Dennis, a lower class ‘mud gatherer’ who becomes Knighted and transforms into the dashing Sir Galahad. Also plays PRINCE HERBERT’S FATHER, a wealthy, brutish Yorkshireman man at odds with his sensitive son, THE BLACK KNIGHT who is always ready to duel despite multiple injuries. Strong bari tenor singing required.
- SIR BEDEVERE (20s-40s): A Knight of the Roundtable. An inept scholar. Also plays DENNIS GALAHAD’S MOTHER, a shrill peasant woman, and CONCORDE, Sir Lancelot’s horse. No solo singing.
- THE LADY OF THE LAKE (20s-30s ): A diva. Strong, beautiful, possesses mystical powers. The leading lady of the show. Great singing voice is essential, as she must be able to sing effortlessly in many styles and vocal registers, especially seeking actresses of all races for this role
- HISTORIAN/NOT DEAD FRED/ PRINCE HERBERT/ MINSTREL/ FRENCH GUARD (Tenor). A tweedy academic. Also plays NOT DEAD FRED, a sickly little fellow who -- despite others' beliefs -- claims he is "not yet dead"; a FRENCH GUARD, the condemnatory sidekick to the French Taunter; a MINSTREL in Sir Robin's band; and PRINCE HERBERT, the hopeful and frilly prince who loves to sing and pines for his love atop a tower. Tenor singing required. Very good mover.
ENSEMBLE: (6 Men, 6 Women) EVERY "Ensemble" member plays at least SIX roles. The busiest principal player plays only FIVE roles.
- MALE ENSEMBLE (6 men). Seeking strong dancers and singers to play many roles including the other Knights of the Round Table, Sir Not Appearing, Sir Bohrs, Bodies in "Not Yet Dead," the Dancing Monk, the Dancing Nun, French Citizens, Finland Citizens, a French Guard, Robin's Minstrel, and more! Strong dance skills preferred; tap skills a bonus.
- FEMALE ENSEMBLE (6 women). Seeking strong dancers and singers to play many roles including the Camelot Girls, the Laker Girls, a French Guard, Knights of Ni, two of Robin's Minstrels, French Citizens, Finland Citizens, and more! Strong dance skills preferred, tap skills a bonus.