AUDITION NOTICE: 4th Wall Theatre, a non-union theatre company in Bloomfield, NJ, will hold open auditions for
written by John August and TONY-nominated composer-lyricist Andrew Lippa
directed by Kate Swan
music direction by Markus Grae-Hauck
WHEN: Monday and Wednesday, March 28 and 30, from 7:00-10:00 pm; auditioners only need to attend one of those days. Sign-up begins at 1/2 hour prior to the audition start time, and anyone auditioning must arrive no later than 8:00 pm each night. Callbacks will be Thursday, March 31, also at the theatre, beginning at 7:00 pm.
WHERE: Westminster Arts Center, 449 Franklin Street in Bloomfield, New Jersey, easily accessible by train or bus from Manhattan
PERFORMANCE DATES: June 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, and 12.
Based on the celebrated novel by Daniel Wallace and the acclaimed film directed by Tim Burton, BIG FISH centers on Edward Bloom, a traveling Alabama salesman who lives life to its fullest. Edward's incredible, larger-than-life stories thrill everyone around him, especially his devoted wife Sandra. But their adult son Will, about to have a child of his own, is determined to find the truth behind his father’s epic tales.
4th Wall Theatre will produce the new, small-cast version of BIG FISH, adapted by the original creative team for 12 actors, who will act as a tight-knit troupe of storytellers.
4th Wall is seeking an ethnically diverse cast of 6 or 7 men, 4 or 5 women, and 1 boy or girl, all terrific actor-singers; see character breakdown for details.
- Prepare two contrasting 32-bar selections from contemporary musical theatre songs that show off your voice and acting ability; singing from the show is perfectly acceptable.
- Bring sheet music in your key. An accompanist will be provided.
- Also bring a headshot and resume stapled together, and be prepared to provide all potential conflicts for weekday evening and weekend daytime rehearsals beginning April 10th.
- Non-union; no pay.
- Visit www.4thwalltheatre.org/auditions.htm for more information.
NOTE: Because many of troupe of 12 members in this version play roles and act as ensemble, AGE and TYPE may or may not play into casting, which is why the age ranges listed below are broad. Please think flexibly and do not type yourselves out! Southern accents and the ability to learn movement/dance combinations are helpful.
- Edward Bloom (male lead, age 30-60 to play 18-60, any ethnicity): loving husband and father from Alabama, leads a complex imaginary life and a complicated real life; requires a great sense of humor and a huge heart; singer/actor/strong mover. Bari-tenor, G2-G4.
- Will Bloom (male, 25-35, any ethnicity): Edward’s son, a realist and a pragmatist; requires a strong actor who sings beautifully with great emotional depth. Tenor, C#3-G4.
- Sandra Bloom (female, age 30-60, any ethnicity): Edward’s wife, completely understands her husband, believes in the possibility of reconciliation between her husband and son. Soprano with mix/belt, G3-E5.
- Young Will (male or female, age 9-12, any ethnicity): intrigued by his father’s stories, but already starting to doubt their truth. Child should be a creative actor and a good singer, able to sing from the B below middle C to the C an octave above middle C. May also perform in the Ensemble.
- Josephine Bloom/Ensemble (female, age 20-50, any ethnicity): Will’s wife, a lovely young woman who provides balance for Will’s pragmatism, supports and helps guide Will’s journey toward reconciliation with his father. Mix/belt to C#5.
- Jenny Hill/Ensemble (female, age 20-65, any ethnicity): the other woman, one of Edward’s early childhood friends. Mix/belt to E5.
- The Witch/Ensemble (female or male, age 20-65, any ethnicity): one of Edward’s exotic fantasy friends who shows him how he’ll die. Mezzo with high mixed belt, F3-F5, OR tenor with mix belt to B4.
- Karl the Giant/Ensemble (male, age 20-50, any ethnicity): one of Edward’s fantasy friends, a giant; requires an actor/singer who can handle comic irony; might stilt walk or might be impressively tall. Bass, A3-D4.
- Amos Calloway/Dr. Bennett/Ensemble (male, age 20-65, any ethnicity): another of Edward’s fantasy friends, the ringmaster of a broken down circus and a werewolf; Edward’s doctor. Baritone, C3-F5, touches a G5.
- Don Price/Ensemble (male, age 20-65, any ethnicity): Edward’s childhood frenemy, an early buddy, bully, and rival for Sandra’s hand. Baritone, C3-F#4.
- Zacky Price/Mayor/Ensemble (male, age 20-65, any ethnicity): Don’snerdy younger brother; Mayor of Ashton, AL. Baritone to F#4 OR alto to F5.
- Girl in the Water/Ensemble (female, age 20-40, any ethnicity): the ethereal creature who granted Edward his first kiss by the river, a dancer. Alto to E5, useable soprano to F5.