Songs for a New World
WHEN: Thursday, November 5, from 7:00 – 10:00 pm; and Sunday, November 8, from 3:00 – 6:00 pm.* Callbacks will be on Saturday, November 14th, at the theatre at Westminster Arts Center, 449 Franklin Street in Bloomfield, beginning at 1:00 pm.
WHERE: UUCM (United Universalist Congregation at Montclair), located as 67 Church Street in Montclair, easily accessible by train or bus from Manhattan.
4th Wall Theatre, in residence at Bloomfield College, in Bloomfield, NJ, will hold open auditions for all roles in its production of Songs for a New World by composer Jason Robert Brown.
Rehearsals begin November 23 and will mostly be scheduled on Monday and Tuesday evenings and Saturday afternoons in Bloomfield and Montclair, New Jersey. There will be a few music rehearsals in Nov-Dec, a few possible rehearsals in January, and the bulk of rehearsals will be concentrated in Feb-early March.
Performances are scheduled for March 11, 12 and 13, 2016.
The show is a song cycle about life's moments—turning points, moments when decisions must be made, moments of challenge, moments of reflection. Some are dramatic, some comic, some thoughtful, some very emotional. The show's material ranges from the deck of a 1492 Spanish sailing ship to a ledge 57 stories above Fifth Avenue, from a young man who has determined that basketball is his ticket out of his lower-class existence, to a woman whose dream of marrying rich nabs her the man of her dreams and a few regrets.
*Auditioners only need to attend one of the above dates. Sign-up begins at 1/2 hour prior to the audition start time, and anyone auditioning must arrive no later than 8:00 pm on November 5th or 4:00 on November 8th.
4th Wall is SEEKING AN ETHNICALLY DIVERSE CAST of 4-6 men and 4-6 women, all terrific actor-singers, to perform the many solos, duets, and choral numbers in the show. All types and ages will be seriously considered.
- PREPARE two contrasting 32-bar selections from contemporary musical theatre songs that show off your voice and acting ability; singing from the show or other JRB repertoire is perfectly acceptable, but keep in mind that JRB is difficult to sight-read, so choose wisely.
- BRING sheet music in your key. An accompanist will be provided.
- Also BRING a headshot and resume stapled together.
- BE PREPARED to provide all potential conflicts for evening and weekend rehearsals beginning November 23.
- 2-3 women to sing the songs of Woman 1 and group numbers - Range: G3-F5 (soprano)
- 2-3 women to sing the songs of Woman 2 and group numbers - Range: F3-F5 (mezzo)
- 2-3 men to sing the songs of Man 1 and group numbers - Range: D3-C5 (tenor)
- 2-3 men to sing the songs of Man 2 and group numbers - Range: F2-Ab4 (baritone)
Small stipend. Possible Equity Guest Artist contract available.