WINTER’S DAY ON THE FARM
WHEN: Sunday, February 5, 12 Noon to 4 PM
WHERE: Fosterfield, Kahdena Road, Morristown
ADMISSION: $6 for adults, $5 for seniors (65+), $4 for children ages 4 – 16, and $2 for children ages 2 and 3. FREE for children under age 2 and Friends members with a valid membership I.D.
For more information, call 973.326.7645 or visit www.morrisparks.net
Put on some warm clothes, and discover what a typical winter day was like for farm families in the 1920s through the following activities:
- Watch the farmers harvest blocks of ice from the pond using special ice-cutting tools.
- See the Belgian draft horses haul the ice up to the ice house by horse-drawn sled.
- Stop by the Willows to hear the Fosters’ “Irish cook” describe using the ice box, and how firewood was used to prepare seasonal foods.
- Lend a hand with on-going daily farm chores such as husking and cracking corn, collecting eggs, churning butter, and sawing wood.
- Watch the operation of the single-cylinder gasoline engine.
- Meet the various resident farm animals, and see the farmers milk the Jersey dairy cows.
- Board the open-air, tractor-pulled wagon for a memorable ride around the farm!