UNITED SOLO THEATRE FESTIVAL
WHEN: September 26 - November 19, 2023
WHERE: Theatre Row on 42nd Street in New York City
TICKETS: $45 and may be purchased at the Theatre Row box office https://bfany.org/theatre-row/shows/united-solo-fall-festival-2023/.
For the complete schedule and tickets please visit: https://unitedsolo.org/the-annual-united-solo-theatre-festival-fall-2023/.
United Solo is not just a festival: it’s a home for solo artists, with members returning year after year—sometimes with Encore presentations of popular shows, and sometimes with all new pieces. This year the United Solo Theatre Festival celebrates expanding to two seasons, Spring and Fall.
Alumni returning this fall season with Encore pieces include:
- El Amari, “Play” (Festival Debut Fall 2022)
- Loree Draude, “I Feel the Need” (Best Directing Fall 2021)
- Valoneecia Tolbert, “Tales of a Blerd Ballerina” (Best Debut Spring 2023)
- Tom Frueh (featured in the 2015, 2017, & 2019 Seasons), with “Haven Waits for Everly”
- Tom Schuch (Best Biographical Play Fall 2014), with “Einstein's Violin”
- Jackie Smook (Best Emerging Artist Spring 2023), with “Under Your Skin”
“After the pandemic, the festival grows ever stronger. We want to get together after the time of isolation and experience how remarkable it is to meet a solo artist, a survivor, a unifier, and the essences of humanity,” says Omar Sangare, Founder and Artistic Director of United Solo.
Several performers have already sold out their shows and have received additional performances:
- “Does This Show Make Me Look Fat?” performed by Cathy Ladman (2 shows SOLD OUT, additional show added Sept. 29 at 8:30pm)
- “Unseen,” performed by Kimberly Prentice (2 shows SOLD OUT, additional show added Oct. 19 at 8:30pm)
- “Hummingbird,” performed by Misha Gonz-Cirkl (1 show SOLD OUT, additional show added Oct. 11 at 8:30pm)
- “Texas Hellfire,” performed by Katharine Everett (1 show SOLD OUT, additional show added Nov. 1 at 8:30pm)
- “Keith Moon: The Real Me,” performed by Mick Berry (1 show SOLD OUT, additional show added Oct. 25 at 2pm)
- “After I’m Dead, You’ll Have to Feed Everyone,” performed by Vivien Straus (1 show SOLD OUT, additional show added Oct. 28 at 8:30pm)
- “Mister Halston,” performed by Ken Barnett (1 show SOLD OUT, additional show added Nov. 18 at 8:30pm)
- “I Feel the Need,” performed by Loree Draude (1 show SOLD OUT, additional show added Nov. 4 at 8:30pm).
The festival will conclude its fall season on November 19, 2023, with its Evening Gala at Theatre Row, featuring awards for outstanding productions, including The United Solo Special Award, to be announced soon. The winner will join illustrious past honorees such as Anna Deavere Smith (2010), Patti LuPone (2011), John Leguizamo (2012), Fiona Shaw (2013), Billy Crystal (2014), James Celeste Lecesne (2015), Staceyann Chin in collaboration with Cynthia Nixon (2016), Michael Moore (2017), Renée Taylor (2018), Aasif Mandvi (2019), Ian McKellen (2020), Lee Roy Reams (2021), and Dael Orlandersmith (2022).
Audiences are invited to vote for their favorite solo show. The winner of this vote receives the United Solo Audience Choice Award at the closing Gala.
As United Solo begins its Fall 2023 season, it is accepting submissions for its Spring 2024 Season at Theatre Row. Artist and companies can apply at: https://unitedsolo.org/nyc-spring-2024/apply/.