next to normal
written by Brian Yorkey (book and lyrics) and Tom Kitt (music)
- Tuesday, 12/13 7:30 pm
- Wednesday, 12/14 7:30 pm
- Callbacks, if necessary, on Thur 12/15 7:30 pm by invitation only
WHERE: Circle Playhouse, 416 Victoria Ave, Piscataway, NJ 08854.
The production will be directed by Richard Butler. Nicholas Kaminski will serve as musical director. This Pulitzer Prize winning rock musical tells the story of a suburban family struggling with mental illness, love, and loss. All roles are open.
PERFORMANCE DATES: March 17th, 18th, 25th, 31st and April 1st, 2017, at 8 pm, and March 26th and April 2nd, 2017, at 3 pm.
- Please prepare 32 bars of a rock/pop style theatre song; selections from the show are acceptable, but not required.
- Please choose a song that will display both your singing and your acting abilities.
- A piano accompanist will be provided.
- Please bring sheet music in the proper key. No a cappella auditions.
- Diana Goodman, female, age 40-45, mezzo (G3 to F#5): – Intelligent with a wicked sense of humor. The sexiness of her yesterdays has only recently begun to soften. Diana suffers from depressive bipolar disorder with delusional episodes. She is determined to make a perfect life for her family, but is tortured by a tragedy from the past.
- Dan Goodman, male, age 40-45, tenor/high baritone (Ab2 to B4): Diana’s husband. He is handsome and genuine. He is truly in love with Diana and has been a constant in her tumultuous life. Though supportive and caring, he has grown weary of dealing with his wife’s episodes and longs for a peaceful “normal” life.
- Gabe, male, age 18-21, tenor (B2 to C5): Diana & Dan’s son. Dashing, athletic, and bright. He is a playful young man and everything a mother could imagine. Gabe is close to Diana, but longs for attention and recognition from his father.
- Natalie, female, reads age 16, mezzo (G3 to G5): Diana & Dan’s troubled daughter. An accomplished and hardworking student, she struggles to deal with the behavior of her mother, whom she alternately resents and longs to be closer to. Ability to play classical piano a plus, but not required.
- Henry, male, reads age 17, tenor/high baritone (G#2 to B4): Natalie’s classmate, attractive in an offbeat way. The all-around musician, philosopher, and slacker. Henry is in love with Natalie and is fiercely loyal and steadfast…and persistent.
- Dr. Madden, male, age 30-40, tenor/high baritone (A2 to A4): Diana’s handsome psychiatrist, he is caring and compassionate and is willing to use unconventional methods to help his patients. The same actor plays Dr. Fine, Diana’s psycho-pharmacologist, who uses methods that are by-the- book and involve much medication.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.