La Gioconda & Rigoletto
Application Deadline: December 26. New Jersey residents are encouraged to apply.
WHEN: Mondays, January 4 and January 11, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
WHERE: bergenPAC's Drapkin Cabaret & Lounge, located at 30 North Van Brunt Street in Englewood, New Jersey
For an audition appointment, call 201-886-0561or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera, the house opera company of the Bergen Performing Arts Center (bergenPAC), invites soloists in all vocal categories to audition for selected roles in the grand opera company’s 2016 productions. New Jersey residents are encouraged to apply.
Solo roles are available in the company’s debut of Amilcare Ponchielli's La Gioconda and Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto.
PERFORMANCE DATES: The company will present La Gioconda on Sunday, April 17, 2016 and Rigoletto on Sunday, October 23, 2016. All the productions will be presented at 3:00 p.m. at bergenPAC.
Verismo Opera is recognized for training the opera stars of tomorrow. "This is very good training and experience for vocalists to perform in costume on the stage with full sets accompanied by a live orchestra and chorus. In our productions, they hone their vocal and acting skills and are able to continue and perform with larger companies,” said Lucine Amara, Artistic Director, Verismo Opera.
- Open auditions will be held only for these roles in La Gioconda: a Monk (bass), a Public Scribe (tenor) and a Steersman (tenor). Vocalists are invited to apply to audition for the following roles in Rigoletto: Borsa (tenor), Countess Ceprano (mezzo), Count Ceprano (bass), Marullo (baritone), Sparafucile (bass), Giovanna (mezzo), Maddalena (mezzo-contralto), a Page (soprano) and Count Monterone (bass). All other roles have been cast.
- All applicants must have previous experience in a fully staged production and the necessary vocal training to perform leading or supporting roles. Although an accompanist will be provided, applicants may bring their own pianist.
- Applicants must submit a bio listing current or past performances and roles sung, a resume, and a photo by the application deadline to Verismo Opera Inc., P.O. Box 3024, Fort Lee, New Jersey 07024-9024, or to email@example.com.
- Vocalists should provide a list of three arias in their application, including at least one from the role to be presented in the audition and another in the same style.
- All vocalists should be prepared to perform the music for the role they would like to perform in La Gioconda or Rigoletto.
A refundable $25 deposit must be submitted with all applications to secure an audition time. The deposit will be refunded at the audition time. Checks should be made out to Verismo Opera.
The selected vocalists will receive free coaching from professionals in the field, including Artistic Director Lucine Amara, a Met Opera legend, and General Manager/Stage Director Evelyn La Quaif. Professional photos and a DVD of the production will be available to use for future engagements and performances.
The audition site and theatre are handicapped accessible. Designated handicapped parking spaces are available. Vocalists requiring a special accommodation should call (201) 886-0561 at least two weeks before the audition.
About New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera
For over a quarter century, the New Jersey Association of Verismo Opera has been an integral part of the region’s classical music culture. Led by Metropolitan Opera luminary Lucine Amara, Verismo Opera delivers a rich, grand opera experience for performers and viewers.
The organization provides performing opportunities for young musicians and artists through its semi-annual productions at the Bergen Performing Arts Center and concerts held in community settings. Community members are invited to get involved as supernumeraries and volunteers. An annual international vocal competition is conducted in November with finals generally drawing artists throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe. Verismo Opera also organizes opera workshops, master classes and concerts and offers affordable, highly professional productions.
For more information, visit Verismo Opera's web site, www.verismopera.org; like the company on Facebook, http://bit.ly/9JXTP8; get updates on Twitter @NJVerismoOpera; follow the opera company on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/LuhrsAssoc/; or call (201) 886-0561.