30th Annual New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest
WHEN: Monday, May 20, at 7 PM — Elementary and Junior High Division winners; Tuesday, May 21, at 7 PM — High School Division winners
WHERE: University Center's Little Theatre at Kean University, 1000 Morris Ave., Union
Click here for a pdf map of the campus.
Click here for directions.
The 30th Annual New Jersey Young Playwrights Contest Festival will be held on May 20 and May 21, as part of a partnership between Playwrights Theatre and Premiere Stages at Kean University. Select plays from this festival will be reprised at Playwrights Theatre’s nationally-recognized Forum Reading Series in December 2013. This reading series brings together writers from all over the United States.
The readings will feature professional actors and directors and reservations can be made by calling 973.514.1787 X21 or via -email email@example.com. Admission to the readings is free, but reservations are required, as seating is limited.
In the High School Division (grades 10-12), the winners are:
- You Definitely Got All That from Your Mother by Emma Iacometta, 11th grade, Bergen County Academies
- Mirror by Kelsey Garrett, 11th grade, Middletown High School South
- Blues-Berries by Philip Peker, 11th grade, Livingston Senior High School
- Good News! by Philip Anastassiou, 11th grade, Bergen County Academies
The aforementioned winners received a New Jersey Governor’s Award in Arts Education, which is co-sponsored by New Jersey Arts Education Partnership and the New Jersey Department of Education, at the Governor’s Awards Ceremony on May 2 at 4:30 pm at the War Memorial in Trenton. The Governor’s Award is the highest honor in arts education in New Jersey.
In the Junior High School Division (grades 7-9), the winners are:
- We’re Sisters by Christine Vapsva, 9th grade, Union County Academy for Performing Arts, Scotch Plains
- Untitled by Emma Ohlig, 9th grade, Union County Academy for Performing Arts, Scotch Plains
- An Obstacle Worth Facing by Lindsay Gerrato, 8th grade, Columbia Middle School, Berkeley Heights
In the Elementary School Division (grades 4-6), the winners are: