By Warren Leight
Directed by Cynthia Ross
WHEN: Tuesday, March 6, and Wednesday, March 7, at 7:30 PM; Callbacks: Thursday, March 8, at 7:30 PM
Performance Dates: May 11-20, Friday & Saturday 8 PM; Sunday, May 20, 2 PM
WHERE: The Burgdorff Center For The Performing Arts, 10 Durand Rd., Maplewood (NJ Transit train station is at the end of the street.)
It is not necessary to make an appointment to audition.
The Strollers is casting 5 men and 2 women in its production of SIDE MAN, a memory play narrated by a young man about his father—a talented, self-absorbed jazz trumpeter—and the tumultuous relationship between his parents in a lost era when jazzmen were beloved, and there was no shortage of Saturday night gigs.
All the characters are presented over the course of 32 years spanning from 1953 – 1985.
- CLIFFORD GLIMMER (Male)” The 29 year-old narrator of the play. Overly responsible, sensitive and wry. He does not want to be perceived as a victim.
- TERRY GLIMMER (Female ): Clifford's mom. We see her transformation from a tough, yet naive Italian girl from East Boston to a hard-drinking, cigarette-smoking woman in her mid 50s. Despite her anger, she cares deeply for her son, her husband and his music.
- PATSY (Female ): Waitress at Charlie's Melody Lounge, confidante to Terry and Clifford, and lover at one time or another to all the musicians except Gene.
- GENE GLIMMER (Male): Clifford's dad. A spacey, seemingly detached man who most comes to life when playing his trumpet.
- AL (male ): The macho (for these guys) lead trumpet player, nicknamed "Romeo" by the others. (Lead trumpet is to a big band what concertmaster is to an orchestra.)
- ZIGGY (male ): Trumpet player and Gene's pal. His odd speech impediment (a bilateral lisp) does not stop his constant stream of wisecracks, it can hide his anger.
- JONESY (male ): A one-eyed, prophetic, junkie trombone player.
Please note that the Strollers is a membership company and performers are expected to join.
For more information on this show, click to contact The Strollers by e-mail.