DOVER LITTLE THEATRE to hold AUDITIONS for
By Stephen Sondheim
Directed by Alison Earnest
WHEN: March 4 and 5; Call backs March 7 at 7 PM
WHERE: Dover Little Theatre, 69 Elliott Street, Dover
Performances are May 5 – 19, 2012
The clashing sounds and pulsing rhythms of New York City in the 1970’s underscore this landmark "concept" show, considered by many to have inaugurated the modern era of musical theatre. Our anti-hero, confirmed bachelor Robert, makes his way through a series of encounters with girlfriends and “those good and crazy people,” his married friends, in vignette after hilarious vignette, as he weighs the pros and cons of married life. In the end, he realizes being alone is "alone, not alive."
Auditioners must come prepared with a song and will be asked to read from the script. For call backs, auditioners will be given a selection from the show to sing as well as additional scenes to read.
LEAD: Robert, male, baritone, 30-45, the central character; his 35th birthday brings the group together
- Sarah, female, alto, 30-45, learning karate and has issues with food and dieting. Married to Harry.
- Harry, male, baritone, 30-45, Friendly and affable, but with a slight drinking problem. Married to Sarah.
- Susan, female, mezzo, 25-35, A gracious Southern belle who suffers from fainting spells. Married to Peter.
- Peter, male, baritone, 25-35, Formerly Ivy League, possibly gay. Married to Susan.
- Jenny, female, soprano, 30-45, Sweet, but a bit square. Married to David.
- David, male, tenor, 30-45, Chic and a bit controlling. Married to Jenny.
- Amy, female, alto, 25-40, Neurotic, gets cold feet on her wedding day. Engaged to Paul.
- Paul, male, tenor, 25-40, Amy’s fiancé, Jewish, who has learned how to put up with her manic spells.
- Joanne, female, alto, 35-55, Cynical and very acerbic. Only drinks with Robert. Married to Larry.
- Larry, male, tenor, 40-60, Joanne’s third husband. Sweet and understanding.
- April, female, mezzo, 25-35, A naïve flight attendant. Self-described as “dumb”
- Marta, female, mezzo, 25-35, Hip and vulgar. Loves New York
- Kathy, female, alto or mezzo, 25-35, A small town girl. Robert’s long time on-and-off girlfriend.
For more information visit the website. If you have questions regarding the auditions, call the theatre at 973.328.9202 and leave a message for the director, Alison Earnest.